The Heritage of Our First Baptist Family
Our Church was organized in 1868—a few years after the end of the Civil War—in a log school. In 1870, a house of worship was built. The church was relocated in 1889-90 with a brick structure on a hill just east of the railroad depot. In 1912, this building was destroyed by fire and First Baptist moved to our present site. A sanctuary was built and dedicated to the Lord's work in 1917. This building still serves as our Fellowship Hall.
The need for an expanded facility was discussed during the depression and war years and finally became a reality in 1948.
During the late 1960's, the dream for a larger sanctuary was shared and our present facility was dedicated in 1969. In the late 1980's, our mission continued to grow with the purchase of additional property and completion of the Christian Life Center in 1990.
As our community has grown over the years, our church family has expanded the awareness of God's vision and our mission.